Patients - Your Rights and Responsibilities
As a person who uses our service, a patient has the right and the responsibility to make decisions about their own health care. Staff at Macquarie Medical Imaging will give their patients all the assistance possible to protect their rights and assist them to make informed choices about their health and well-being.
All personal information collected by The Alfred Imaging Group of practices is treated as confidential and is protected by the Privacy Act 1988 – Federal.
Internal procedures exist and staff training is provided to ensure that your information is secure.
The information The Alfred Imaging Group needs to collect in the course of providing its health services to you include:
- Your name and address and contact details;
- Your Medicare number;
- Your date of birth;
- Information about your past clinical history, for example previous test results;
- Other health information provided by your referring doctor and/or specialist or hospital
You may choose not to provide us with your personal information, but this may mean we are unable to provide you with our services.
Disclosure of your Information
We may be required to forward the information you provide to individuals or organisations outside of The Alfred Imaging Group, for Medical, Legal and/or procedural reasons. These might include:
- Your referring doctor, specialist, hospital or other medical staff involved in your treatment;
- Your authorised representative, for example guardian or other representative such as a family member or your legal advisers;
- Pathology tests that are referred to an outside organisation to perform;
- Medicare or your private health fund or insurance company for the purpose of the payment of benefits;
- A Government, regulatory authority or other organisation, if required or authorised by law for example when subpoenaed by court.
Your personal information is contained in paper based and other hard copy documents in a dedicated storage facility. Electronic records are contained in a secure environment. These records are only accessible by persons who require access to the information in the performance of their duties with regard to The Alfred Imaging Group.
Accuarcy of Information
While The Alfred Imaging Group tries to ensure that the information collected, used and disclosed is accurate, the accuracy of that information depends on the information you provide. Therefore it is important that you:-
Tell us if there are any errors in the information we hold and inform us of changes to your information be it name, address or other contact details.